Monday, September 5, 2011

Crabs and Beer - it's how we roll in Maryland

Yesterday I went to my parents house for a crab feast.  I picked up my grandmother (aka Memom) on the way.  I had originally planned to go to Ocean City this weekend but it didn't work out.  So I was excited to be able to have crabs with my family since it's likely I would've gone out for them down at the beach.

Upon picking Memom up, I was delighted to see that she was bringing along a coconut cake which is one of my favorites.  Anything coconut is the way to my heart...well, one of the ways.  I'm talking hair/body products, scented items/candles, beverage (rum? yes please - Whaler's is divine), and candy.  The limited edition coconut M&Ms were ridiculous.  I could continue, but you get the idea.  I heart coconut.  Let's move on.

Memom and I are headed up the road and 311 is on my iPod (surprised? didn't think so).  I figured what the hell, I'll leave it on.  Obviously the volume level was much lower than BEFORE I picked her up.  I didn't want her to go deaf.  But the thought occurred to me, I should get Memom a 311 tshirt for Christmas this year.  She would wear it.  How awesome would it be to be out someplace and see a grandmother wearing a 311 shirt? 

Anyway, we reach our destination and sit down to have crabs and beer.  The two go hand in hand.  Many people I've encountered who aren't Marylanders just do not get the picking of the crabs.  One person even called it "barbaric".  It's messy and can be time consuming, but it's delicious and worth it.  Even my mom had a few crabs, which is very out of character.  She goes for the steamed shrimp and even Alaskan crab legs.  But these crabs were so top grade and meaty that she had to join in.  Here are a few images I shot before sitting down and getting my own hands dirty in the crab action.

My sister Sara with large crab

Mom gave me permission to post this photo.  I laugh every time I see it.

Memom with crab and Natty Boh - a Baltimore tradition!


Talking about crabs and beer made me think of one of my favorite local pieces of artwork by Jon Brown.  Crabs, beer, the local Baltimore Sun paper announcing a Ravens win and Old Bay seasoning which is a staple for our Maryland seafood.  I use Old Bay on other things as well including.......eggs!

Here is the link to the Jon Brown piece:
http://www.oceangallery.com/art_sale/Charm_City_Cex.html

Also, the link to the history of Baltimore's National Bohemian beer if you feel so inclined to read up on it:
http://nationalbohemian.com/history/Default.aspx

1 comment: